Sunday, 10 November 2013

Never got past pilot number one...

I shall admit, today has been a day of random thought. This is probably evidenced most visibly by the fact that I'm writing a blog post for the first time in... er... a long time. It even has content. Yes, actual content though it might be a little off on a tangent to what the few of you who still remember... um... remember.

Today I have been thinking about that most annoying of beasts, the tv pilot that, despite being legendarily awesome, never became more than said pilot. For whatever reason they just get canned but occasionally we get to see anyway (somewhat cruelly in some cases). I'd like to introduce you to a couple of my favourite 'missed opportunities' for your twenty minute, bite-sized pleasure.

First up is probably my favourite one-off pilot ever. The Amazing Screw-On Head.

I'll admit it, I am a huge fan of Mike Mignola's artwork. A little less so with his stories. I like Hellboy, I just don't love it... but oh man, the sumptuous art. It sings to me. Okay Steve, rein it in... getting overly flowery with your writing and nobody wants that.

The Amazing Screw-On Head was a one off comic Mr Mignola came up with, more of a broad comedy than Hellboy but with a similar sense of style. An interesting piece of trivia regarding the adaptations of Mignola's work is that he actively likes the visual style to be changed in each media. Hence the Hellboy movies have quite a different visual style to the movies and the animated movies another style again (rather anime in fact). Screw-On Head was tackled differently for whatever reason. It's Mike Mignola's artwork brought to life in animated form and it's a beautiful thing. His is a simple style, and it lends itself to animation rather better than you'd expect with all that heavy shading.

Screw-On Head isn't just a visual delight though. The script is smart, funny and knowing. The voice cast is pretty stellar too with the notables being Paul Giamatti as Screw-On Head and David Hyde Pierce stealing the show as head villain Emperor Zombie.

A genuine curiosity that I'd truly have loved to see played out week after week. But, alas, sometimes shows are too cool for their own good and are consigned to oblivion way before their time... and sometimes they barely make it past tripping over the starting block.

Luckily tracking down The Amazing Screw-On Head isn't too tough... so hope you'll take the time to enjoy.



There's another show, killed far too early that I'd like to share soon but this'll be it for today...

3 comments:

  1. Saw this a while back, and was *crushed* when I realized they weren't going to be making any more... it would have been really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Screw on head truly is something else :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your blog's maybe back to life! I think I started painting again because of it.

    ReplyDelete